- St Mary’s University, Twickenham, Middlesex: various advisory and support activities.
- Higher Education Academy: Associate, being academic lead for suite of projects on flexible pedagogies. Wrote major report on the topic – see under ‘Publications’.
- University of Lincoln: assessment of draft REF return for the Education Group (involving both a report and meetings with the members of the Group and senior staff).
- LSE/ Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS - in India): an evaluation of an LSE/TISS collaboration (involving a visit to TISS in Mumbai, including to the funder of the collaboration, the TATA corporation).
- University of Vienna, Austria: Member of review team evaluating work of the University’s Teaching and Learning Centre.
University of Surrey
- Senior Research Consultant: assisting in developing an agenda around the idea of ‘lifewide learning’ (conducting a small-scale research project, and being involved in the SCEPTrE conference on the topic).
Parliamentary Select Committee – Inquiry into Students and Universities
- Special Adviser
- Member of research team and educational consultant to consortium conducting suite of projects on space management in institutions of higher education. With a colleague, have explored and produced a report on universities’ future space needs.
University of Westminster
- (With Professor Gill Nicholls), assisting the University - over 6 months - in developing its programme of pedagogical research projects conducted by members of its staff.
Missenden Centre for the Development of Higher Education
- Co-Director of 2-day seminar on postgraduate research degree programmes.
- Part of consortium looking at relationships between research and teaching (as part of HEFCE’s review of research policy.
- (with Professor Gareth Williams), ‘scoping study’ on relationships between research and teaching, including literature review.
Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain
- Advisory report on taking forward the Society’s new scheme for Continuing Professional Development for its members.
Institute for Learning and Teaching in Higher Education (ILTHE)
- Member of Coopers & Lybrand team, working up draft corporate plan for the ILTHE.
‘Dearing Inquiry’ into Higher Education
- National Committee of Inquiry into Higher Education (chaired by Sir Ron Dearing): led team analysing the responses to the Committee’s public consultation and wrote ensuing report, which appears as Appendix 1 to the Committee’s Report.
Queen Margaret College, Edinburgh
- Review for the Department of Occupational Therapy, Queen Margaret College, Edinburgh, of its teaching approaches, observing lecturers’ teaching over a two-day period. Produced report for the Department
Standing Conference of Principals (SCOP)
- Report for the Council of Management of the SCOP (unpublished): (Svava Bjarnason and Ronald Barnett):
HEQC Audit Reports: A Review and Analysis
University of the West Indies
- Design of a teaching quality assurance system.
Report (unpublished): Assessing Teaching Quality at the University of the West Indies.
Committee of Scottish Higher Education Principals
- Report for COSHEP on the development of teaching quality arrangements in Scotland.
Central School of Speech and Drama
- Independent Assessor for internal departmental reviews.
- In 1995-96, acted as a continuing asessor for the whole of the annual cycle of departmental reviews.
Higher Education Funding Council for England; Higher Education Funding Council for Wales.
Review of the English and Welsh teaching quality assessment methodologies.
Report: Assessment of the Quality of Higher Education: A Review and an Evaluation
(Bristol, HEFCE). [The so-called Barnett Report]
This report led to fundamental changes in the approach to teaching quality assessment in England, in particular, through the adoption of a profiling approach.
A commentary paper, analysing the consultancy process, and co-written with Professor Gareth Parry, has been published in the literature (2014): see below under Publications (d) ‘Papers in refereed journals’.
Scottish Higher Education Funding Council
- Review of the SHEFC teaching quality assessment methodology.
Report: Quality Assessment: An Evaluation (Edinburgh: SHEFC)
Other smaller consultancy activities include:
- Committee of Vice-Chancellors and Principals
- Cranfield University
- University of Bournemouth
- University of Liverpool
- Northampton University
- University of Hull
- Centre for Higher Education Policy Studies, Netherlands
- University of West London
- Aga Khan University, Karachi, Pakistan
- Some private companies (eg running workshops)