Please choose a menu item to see some recent publications, grouped by category:
|- Chapters in books|
|- Papers in Journals|
|- Forewords in books|
Chapters in books
- ‘Considering the University’, in A Samalavicius (ed) Neoliberalism, Economism and Higher Education. Cambridge: Cambridge Scholars Publishing.
- ‘The Thinking University: two versions, rival and complementary’, in R Barnett and S Bengtsen (eds), The Thinking University. Dordrecht: Springer.
- (with Soren Bengtsen) ‘Realism and Education: a philosophical examination of the “realness” of the university’, ch 9 (121-137) in P Higgs and Y Waghid, A Reader in Philosophy of Education. Cape Town: Juta.
- ‘The Idea of the University in the Twenty-First Century: Where is the Imagination?’, in Thomas Karlsohn (ed) Universitetets Idé (volume of historical writings on the idea of the university). Gothenburg: Daidalos.
- ‘On the Philosophy of Higher Education’, contribution on section on Philosophy of Higher Education in on-line Encyclopedia of Educational Philosophy and Theory. doi:10.1007/978-981-287-532-7_629-1
- ‘The Idea of the University: Renewing the Great Tradition’, in Encyclopedia of International Higher Education Systems and Institutions insection on ‘Meanings and Purposes’ edited by Manja Klemencic; overall editors: Jung Cheol Shin and Pedro Nuno Teixeira. Dordrecht: Springer.
ISBN: 978-94-017-9553-1 (Print) 978-94-017-9553-1 (Online)
- (with Michael Peters) ‘Introduction’, The Idea of the University, Volume One. Peter Lang.
- ‘The Ecological University: a university whose time has come’, in Ronald Barnett and Michael Peters (eds) The Idea of the University – volume 2, Contemporary Perspectives, New York, Peter Lang.
- ‘Culture and the University: An Ecological Approach’, in A Stoller and E Kramer (eds) Philosophical Proposals for the University: Towards a Philosophy of Higher Education. Palgrave Macmillan.
- ‘Scholarship in the University: an ecological perspective’, in Stephen Crump, Antony Drew and Gordon Redding (eds), Oxford Handbook of Comparative Higher Education Systems and University Management.
Papers in Journals
- ‘Constructing the University: Towards a Social Philosophy of the University’, Educational Philosophy and Theory, 49 (1) 78-88. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00131857.2016.1183472
- Barnett, R. & Guzmán-Valenzuela, C. ‘Sighting horizons of teaching in higher education’. Higher Education, 73, 1, 113-126.
- ‘Eco-dreams and university geopolitics, Educational Philosophy and Theory, 1-3
- Barnett, R and Bengtsen, S, ‘Universities and Epistemology: from a dissolution of knowledge to the emergence of a new thinking’, Education Sciences.7 (38)
- ‘Reasoning the University: A Glimpse of Possibilities’, in special issue on education in Tidskrift for Politisk Filosofi (translated into Swedish) 3 (20) 52-65.
- ‘The Thinking University: A Feasible Utopia?’, in special issue of Knowledge Cultures
- (with Soren Bengtsen): ‘Confronting the Dark Side of Higher Education’, Journal of Philosophy of Education.
- ‘Some pathologies of undergraduate research – and how to cure them’, in CUR Council on Undergraduate Research.
- ‘Understanding the University: Planes and possibilities (and even poetry)’, in annual newsletter of Philosophy of Education Society.
- ‘University Education: Glimpsing a New Direction’, contribution to compendium, Challenges and Opportunities for the Century Ahead, celebrating 100 years anniversary of Osmania University, India.
‘The Coming of the Ecological Learner’, contribution to publication following VII International Forum on University Innovation, Vigo, Spain.
- ‘General Education: A Reconsideration’, in Reflexiones Sobre los Estudios Generales en Educación Superior’, Baranquilla, Colombia: Uninorte.
- Preface to set of essays on MOOC futures, World of Learning compendium
- ‘A Will to Write or “That blinking cursor demands words from me”’, in New Vistas, magazine of the University of West London 2 (1).
- Conversation on higher education in Kulturos Barai (Lithuania)
- ‘EU referendum: will UK become less global, more parochial?’, Times Higher Education, 24 June,
- and also published in THE 30 June, p33.
- ‘Eco-Dreams and University Geopolitics’, invited response to Michael Peters’ editorial, Educational Philosophy and Theory, 49 (5). Online: 10.1080/00131857.2017.1288799.
- ‘Universiteto ideja tarp Sciles ir Charibdes.’ Conversation with Professor/Dr Almantas Samalavicius. Kultoros Barai, 2, 14-17.
- ‘The Value of Higher Education Today’, article in local church magazine (Christ Church, West Wimbledon).
Forewords in books
- Foreword for Dilly Fung, A Connected Curriculum for Higher Education. London: UCL Press.
- Foreword for Jamie P Halsall and Michael Snowden (eds.) The Pedagogy of the Social Sciences Curriculum. Springer.
- Foreword for Nuraan Davids and Yusef Waghid, Educational leadership-in-becoming: On the potential of leadership in action. Routledge.
- Foreword for Norman J Jackson (ed), Exploring Learning Ecologies. Chalk Mountain.
- Foreword for Stephen Heap (ed), The Universities We Need: Theological Developments. Routledge.
- Foreword for Henk Huijser and Megan Kek, Problem-based learning into the future: Imagining an agile PBL ecology for learning. Springer.