Please choose a menu item to see some recent publications, grouped by category:
|- Chapters in books|
|- Papers in Journals|
|- Forewords in books|
|- Other Output|
Chapters in books
(Chapters in Books)
(in Barnett, R and Jackson, N (eds) ) Ecologies for Learning and Practice: Emerging Ideas, Sightings and Possibilities, Routledge:
|- ‘Society as a Learning Ecology: Glimpsed and Now Disappearing?’|
|- Jackson, N and Barnett, R, ‘The Very Idea of a Learning Ecology’|
|- Barnett, R and Jackson, N, ‘Epilogue: Practice Seldom Makes Perfect but …’|
- ‘Ernest Gellner: Nought for Comfort?, in R Barnett and A Fulford (eds) Philosophers on the University. Dordrecht: Springer.
- ‘Considering the University’, in A Samalavicius (ed) Neoliberalism, Economism and Higher Education. Cambridge: Cambridge Scholars Publishing.
- ‘Realizing the World-Class University: an ecological approach’, in S Rider et al (eds) World-Class Universities: A Contested Concept. Dordrecht: Springer.
- ‘The University: From Knowledge Socialism to Knowledge Cooperatives’, in Knowledge Socialism: The Rise of Peer Production: Collegiality, Collaboration and Collective Intelligence’, M A Peters and P Jandric (eds).
- ‘Planning Education and Planning the University: a becoming-symbiosis’, in A Frank and A Pires (eds) Teaching Urban and Regional Planning: Innovative Pedagogies in Practice. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar.
- (S Bengtsen and R Barnett)‘The Philosophy of Higher Education: its Four Pillars’, in on-line Oxford Encyclopedia of Philosophy of Education.
- ‘Towards a Post-Human Education for the Twenty-first Century’, in T Airksinen, P Batra and S Webster (eds) Human Education in the 3rd Millenium, Dordrecht: Springer.
- ‘The End of Academic Freedom: two displacements and new ends for it’, in R Watermeyer, M Olssen, and R Raaper (eds) Handbook on Academic Freedom. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar.
(Chapters in Books)
- ‘Beyond Free Speech: Conditions of Academic Engagement’, Afterword in Y Waghid and N Davids, Free Speech, Universities and Pedagogical Encounters. Rotterdam: Sense Publishers.
- ‘Scholarship in the University: an ecological perspective’, in Stephen Crump, Antony Drew and Gordon Redding (eds), Oxford Handbook of Comparative Higher Education Systems and University Management.
- ‘Leadership and Critical Thinking: Oxymoron and a Feasible Utopia’, in J Jameson (ed) International Perspectives on Leadership in Higher Education: Critical Thinking for Global Challenges. London and New York: Routledge.
- ‘Re-Valuing the University: An Ecological Approach’, in J Jameson and P Gibbs, (eds) Values of, and in, the University in a Time of Uncertainty. Dordrecht: Springer.
- ‘Supercomplexity and education research: six scholarships’, in L Ling and P Ling (eds) Emerging Methods and Paradigms in Scholarship and Education Research. IGI Global.
- ‘Süper Karmaşıklık Çağında Üniversite ve Bilgi’, (‘University Knowledge in an age of Supercomplexity’), in Kurtoğlu, M. eds. Neoliberalizm, Bilgi ve Üniversiteler: Eleştirel Yükseköğretim Araştırmalarına Giriş. Notabene Yayınları. İstanbul. pp. 99-114.
- ‘Coda: Beyond Free Speech: Conditions of Academic Engagement’, in N Davids and Y Waghid, Universities, Pedagogical Encounters, Openness and Free Speech. Lanham, Maryland: Lexington. pp103-117.
- ‘Culture and the University: An Ecological Approach’, in A Stoller and E Kramer (eds) Philosophical Proposals for the University: Towards a Philosophy of Higher Education. Palgrave Macmillan.
- (with Michael Peters) ‘Introduction’, The Idea of the University, Volume One. Peter Lang.
- ‘The Thinking University: two versions, rival and complementary’, in R Barnett and S Bengtsen (eds), The Thinking University. Dordrecht: Springer.
- ‘The Ecological University: a university whose time has come’, in Ronald Barnett and Michael Peters (eds) The Idea of the University – volume 2, Contemporary Perspectives, New York, Peter Lang.
Papers in Journals
- Guzmán-Valenzuela, C, Barnett, R, and Labrana, J, ‘Consensus and Dissensus: changing perceptions of the public dimension of universities in a marketized environment’, Journal of Higher Education Policy and Management, 42 (1) 49-67.First online: 27 August.
- Bengtsen, S S E and Barnett, R, ‘Higher education and alien ecologies: Exploring the Dark Ontology of the University’, Journal of Philosophy of Higher Education, 1 (1) 17-40.
- ‘The Thoughtful University: A Feasible Utopia’, Beijing International Review of Education, 1 (1) 55-72.
- Guzmán-Valenzuela, C and Barnett, R, ‘Patterns of Theory use in qualitative research in higher education studies in Latin America: a geopolitical interpretation’, International Journal of Qualitative Studies in Education. DOI: 10.1080/09518398.2019.1597213
- ‘University Challenge: Division, Discourse and Democracy’, Postdigital Science and Education. First online: 23 April. Print: ISSN 2524-485X
- ‘Towards the Creative University: 5 Forms of Creativity’, Higher Education Quarterly. (Accepted 12 August, 2019) . DOI:10.1111/hequ.12231
- ‘The University after Postmodernism: An Ecological Approach’, Educational Philosophy and Theory, 50 (14) 1537-1538.
- ‘On Recovering Spirit in the World’, contribution to collective article in Postdigital Science and Education on ‘Enchantment, Disenchantment, Re-enchantment: Postdigital relationships between science, philosophy, and religion.
- ‘Re-imagining the University: An Ecological Perspective’, in HERDSA CONNECT, HERDSA magazine, Australia, 41 (3) 2-3.
- ‘Advancing Learning: An Ecological Approach’, blog for the Higher Education Academy, UK. https://www.heacademy.ac.uk/blog-entry/advancing-learning-ecological-approach
- ‘General Education: A Reconsideration’, in Reflexiones Sobre los Estudios Generales en Educación Superior’, Baranquilla, Colombia: Uninorte. [trans into Spanish]
- ‘The Coming of the Ecological Learner’, contribution to publication following VII International Forum on University Innovation, Vigo, Spain.
- Interview for in-house magazine, CIAE, University of Chile, 22 October 2018: ‘Las universidades deben pensar qué educación es apropiada para personas que van a vivir’. http://www.ciae.uchile.cl/index.php?page=view_noticias&langSite=es&id=1458
- ‘Where are the Ethics in Academic Publishing?’, Times Higher Education, 1 Dec, https://www.timeshighereducation.com/blog/where-are-ethics-academic-publishing
- Foreword for Yusef Waghid and Nuraan Davids, The Thinking University Expanded: On Profanation, Play and Education.
- Foreword for Tone Dyrdal Solbrekke and Ciaran Sugrue, Leading Higher Education for Public Good: Re-kindling education as praxis. Routledge.
- Prologue to Iranian edition of The Idea of Higher Education (translated into Farsi).
- ‘Where Have All the Conflicts Gone?’, Blog, Philosophy of Higher Education Society: https://pathes.org/2020/02/24/where-have-all-the-conflicts-gone/
Forewords in books