(All talks are in PDF format)
- 'The Student as Global Citizen: Feasible Utopia or Dangerous Mirage?', invited talk, University of Bristol, 22 January, 2018.
- 'The Digital Revolution: Can the University Survive? No and Yes!', Keynote talk, annual conference, European Universities' Information Systems (EUNIS).
- 'Thinking about the University and Higher Education', invited talk to doctoral students.
- Speyer, Germany, 12-13 April, ‘Placing the University: Thinking, Ecology and Utopia’, Keynote, Society for Higher Education Research.
- Oxford, 30 April, ‘The Future of Higher Education’, invited talk, student event, Education Department, University of Oxford.
- Athens, Greece, 3-4 May, ‘Addressing Globalisation in Higher Education: An Ecological Approach to Internationalisation’, Opening keynote, Strategic Internationalisation in Higher Education conference, Ministry of Education, Research and Religious Affairs.
- Coimbra, Portugal, 4 June, Guest Lecture, Coimbra University (to begin a new series of lectures on teaching) ‘Teaching and Learning in the Twenty-First Century: Pitfalls and Possibilities’
- St Mary's University, UK, 13 June, ‘Writing for Publication (and much more besides)’, workshop [not for reproduction].
- ‘What’s the Value of Professional Life? An Ecological Approach’, contribution to invitation seminar on Values and Higher Education, 11-13 September, New College, Oxford.
- Denmark, Aarhus, keynote talk, ‘Understanding the University: Planes, Possibilities, Poetry’, keynote talk, first international conference on the philosophy of higher education.
- ‘The Coming of the Ecological University’, Liverpool Hope University, invited public lecture, Centre for Educational Policy and Analysis, 24 November.
- ‘Academic Freedom, Autonomy, the State and the Public Sphere: pitfalls and possibilities – an ecological perspective’, invited contribution to seminar (alongside Professor Simon Marginson) on Institutional Autonomy, Academic Freedom and the Public Character of Higher Education, 30 November, UCL Institute of Education.
- University of Winchester, 1 March: ‘Glimpsing the ecological curriculum’, talk for MA Curriculum Design course.
- University of Winchester, 11 May: ‘What Should a University be Known For?’, talk for Governors’ Development Day.
- Liverpool Hope University, 25 May: Professorial Dinner, invited informal talk.
- European Association for Teaching Academic Writing, Royal Holloway, London, 20 June: ‘Academic's Writing - a thing of beauty, a joy to behold’, a joy to behold, Keynote talk.
- Australia lecture trip, Brisbane:
- Educating for a Supercomplex World’, leading keynote talk, International Education Association of Australia, special interest group on internationalisation of the curriculum.
- Independent Schools Queensland:
- ‘Recasting General Education: A Curriculum for Turbulent Times’, Curriculum Policy Officers’ Forum
- ‘Being a student in the twenty-first century and the inadequacy of skills’, School and Curriculum Leaders
- Queensland Government Department of Education and Training:
- ‘General Education: reconsidering the idea for the C21 and even the C22’, invited lecture,.
- 'The Student as a Global Citizen: just what might it mean?’, seminar.
- ‘This Place has Changed My Life’, invited lecture, University of Queensland.
- Vigo, Spain, 13 July: ‘The Coming of the Ecological University’, Keynote address, Forum on University Innovation – Tendencies in the Transformation of Universities in a Digital Society.