(All talks are in PDF format)
- Ireland, Opening keynote, University College Dublin Learning and Teaching Symposium, ‘Reconceiving the Lecture: towards mutual unsettlement’.
- Ireland, Keynote, Trinity College Dublin conference on Postgraduate Lives - Challenges and Opportunities, ‘The Postgraduate’s Life: living - and flourishing - on the edge’.
- Uppsala, Sweden, invited contribution to conference on the world-class university, ‘Realizing the World-class University: an Ecological Approach’.
- Leuven, Belgium, opening keynote, international summit on critical thinking, ‘Critical Thinking: Time for a New Theory’.
- Louvain-La-Neuve, Belgium, high level universities’ summer school, keynote on ‘Realising the Ecological University: A Feasible Utopia'.
- Paper given to Annual Conference of the Philosophy and Theory of Higher Education Society: 'The Student as Global Citizen: Feasible Utopia or Dangerous Mirage?'
- Keynote, Conference on Flexible Learning Systems, Austrian Presidency, Vienna: 'Remembering the Student - Flexible Learning and Being Educated for the Twenty-First Century'
- 'The Student as Global Citizen: Feasible Utopia or Dangerous Mirage?', invited talk, University of Bristol, 22 January, 2018.
- 'The Digital Revolution: Can the University Survive? No and Yes!', Keynote talk, annual conference, European Universities' Information Systems (EUNIS).
- 'Thinking about the University and Higher Education', invited talk to doctoral students.
- Speyer, Germany, 12-13 April, ‘Placing the University: Thinking, Ecology and Utopia’, Keynote, Society for Higher Education Research.
- Oxford, 30 April, ‘The Future of Higher Education’, invited talk, student event, Education Department, University of Oxford.
- Athens, Greece, 3-4 May, ‘Addressing Globalisation in Higher Education: An Ecological Approach to Internationalisation’, Opening keynote, Strategic Internationalisation in Higher Education conference, Ministry of Education, Research and Religious Affairs.
- ‘What’s the Value of Professional Life? An Ecological Approach’, contribution to invitation seminar on Values and Higher Education, 11-13 September, New College, Oxford.
- Denmark, Aarhus, keynote talk, ‘Understanding the University: Planes, Possibilities, Poetry’, keynote talk, first international conference on the philosophy of higher education.
- ‘The Coming of the Ecological University’, Liverpool Hope University, invited public lecture, Centre for Educational Policy and Analysis, 24 November.
- ‘Academic Freedom, Autonomy, the State and the Public Sphere: pitfalls and possibilities – an ecological perspective’, invited contribution to seminar (alongside Professor Simon Marginson) on Institutional Autonomy, Academic Freedom and the Public Character of Higher Education, 30 November, UCL Institute of Education.
- University of Winchester, 1 March: ‘Glimpsing the ecological curriculum’, talk for MA Curriculum Design course.
- University of Winchester, 11 May: ‘What Should a University be Known For?’, talk for Governors’ Development Day.
- Liverpool Hope University, 25 May: Professorial Dinner, invited informal talk.
- European Association for Teaching Academic Writing, Royal Holloway, London, 20 June: ‘Academic's Writing - a thing of beauty, a joy to behold’, a joy to behold, Keynote talk.
- Australia lecture trip, Brisbane:
- Educating for a Supercomplex World’, leading keynote talk, International Education Association of Australia, special interest group on internationalisation of the curriculum.
- Independent Schools Queensland:
- ‘Recasting General Education: A Curriculum for Turbulent Times’, Curriculum Policy Officers’ Forum
- ‘Being a student in the twenty-first century and the inadequacy of skills’, School and Curriculum Leaders
- Queensland Government Department of Education and Training:
- ‘General Education: reconsidering the idea for the C21 and even the C22’, invited lecture,.
- 'The Student as a Global Citizen: just what might it mean?’, seminar.
- ‘This Place has Changed My Life’, invited lecture, University of Queensland.
- Vigo, Spain, 13 July: ‘The Coming of the Ecological University’, Keynote address, Forum on University Innovation – Tendencies in the Transformation of Universities in a Digital Society.